Saturday, March 7, 2009

Black History Month

February was Black History month.  As I was scrolling through our channel guide I became interested in two movies on Lifetime in honor of this month.  I'm usually careful of movies on this channel.  They are sometimes really silly and fluffy and sometimes not very clean!! But...these two looked very good.  And...with a daughter who is black I am trying to educate myself.  The first movie was about a young black girl about 18 or so....who was in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Her boyfriend was in a gang and shot someone only to hand her the gun and take off running.  She ended up in a youth detention center for "loving her man".  The movie was about the track team they formed from young girls in the detention center.  The team was mixed...whites, blacks, hispanics...they had to learn to put their hate aside and work together as a team.  I thought of a class we had taken before adopting Halle.  How people will judge your children by their race....if they're black they could end up like this girl, maybe be good at sports, have rhythm and so on.  This girl was judged because of her race. Her story was portrayed well and I highly recommend that movie.  Though, I can't remember the name of it now!  Sorry!  The other movie I watched was "America".  Rose O'Donnell was in this one.  And I remember the name, phew!  America was a black teen who had been in foster care for most of his life.  His mother left him and his two brothers when they were probably 5-9 yrs old!  They were separated from each other and sent to separate foster homes, America was sexually abused, drank alcohol and was a VERY confused boy!  He ended up in a group home type of place where Rosie O'Donnell was the counselor, after he had attempted suicide.  I'm glad to say his story had a happy ending.  But, all of this made me think...of Halle.  She was rescued from all of this because her birth mom chose adoption for her.  This isn't to say she might not have hard times...don't we all?  Aaron and I will do our very best to raise her without that fear she may have.  We will be there for her and, most importantly, so will our Jesus!  He is the rock that sees us through......I encourage you to watch some of these movies and maybe get just a glimpse into other races.....it will getting you thinking...it will encourage you...and maybe, you'll want to help others!!!  

1 comment:

Marian said...

Hi, I stumbled across your blog and I'm so glad I did. We adopted a beautiful biracial little girl in March of last year. I'm always on the lookout for other moms who are taking the transracial journey. I look forward to reading your adoption story! Stop by anytime for a visit. Grace & Peace dear sister