Thursday, October 2, 2008

Bran Muffins

Some things you remember from childhood, right?  Growing up I always remembered these muffins.  My Mom made them often and I really liked them.  In fact, I remember eating bran muffins elsewhere and not liking them at all.  The same is true for my husband.  After I made these I asked him if he like bran muffins...."they're ok"...hmmmmm....that was his answer.  Pretty much...that means he doesn't like them.  I was really surprised after he ate a bite of mine and later ate a whole muffin!!  The really cool thing about this recipe is that you leave the batter in the fridge and scoop it out when you want to use it.  Don't stir it...those were the instructions I received from my Mom.  She made the muffin batter for me after I asked about this recipe.  Don't I have the best Mom??

1 1/2 cup sugar, blend and add 1/2 cup canola oil & 2 eggs.  Beat all together until smooth...
2 cups all Bran
1 cup Bran buds
Over this pour 1 cup boiling water...Let stand until cool (bran & water)
Add 2 cups buttermilk to bran mixture after it is cool and mix well.  Then add to sugar and egg mixture and mix well.
2 1/2 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
Add dry ingredients to the bran mixture and combine.

Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes

Please note:  I left this in original format...My Grandma Rose had written it this way on a recipe card for my Mom...

No comments: