Thursday, October 9, 2008

Oatmeal Carmelitas

Tonight was small group for us and it was my turn to bring snacks....I brought these yummy treats!  They are always a hit and not too hard to make.  Beware....they are DEFINITELY not fat free!  Let's just say Paula Deen would be proud.  The next time you have to bring goodies somewhere...try Oatmeal Carmelitas!!

Base:
2 cups flour
2 cups quick-cooking oats
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 cups butter, softened
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
Filling:
1 jar (12.25oz) Smucker's Caramel Ice Cream Topping (1 cup)
3 tbsp flour
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

1.Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease 9x13 inch pan.  In large bowl, beat base ingredients with electric mixer on low speed until crumbly.  Reserve half of crumb mixture (about 3 cups) for topping.  Press remaining mixture into bottom of pan.  
2.  Bake 10 minutes.  Meanwhile, in small bowl, stir together carmel topping and 3 tbsp. flour
3.  Sprinkle chocolate chips over partially baked base.  Drizzle evenly with caramel mixture, sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
4.  Bake 18 to 22 minutes longer or until golden brown.  Cool completely in pan on cooling rack, about 1 hour.  Refrigerate 1 to 2 hours or until filling is set.  

2 comments:

Dana Lohrer said...

These things are so yummy! My mom-in-law makes them! I can so make myself sick on them! I want some right now! We are praying for the adoption for you all! You have a lot more followers then me! I have 3. I know of many more who read it, but probably haven't noticed the link to follow it! HA! Thanks for the new updates! Love you and many blessings!

Dana Lohrer said...

Oh, I hope that you are able to adopt close to us so we can help in your travels! We would so love that!